Hazard #121143

29 Dec 2015 - 10:15AddedReporter
29 Dec 2015 - 10:20ReportedCTC
7 Apr 2016 - 13:09RejectedHighway authority[29 Dec 2015] Thank you for your enquiry. According to our records, the land to which you refer does not form part of the adopted highway and as such is outside the responsibility of Lancashire Highways. A 'private street' is a street that is not maintained at public expense. This means that the council, as a highway authority, is under no obligation to carry out repairs to the street, even though it might be a highway which the public has a right to use.
Any requests for repairs should be addressed to the landowner. In the case of a new development, this is usually the developer. If the road is on a housing scheme, you should contact the local housing office. If you do not know who owns the land, you could try contacting the Land Registry on 0300 006 0411 to see if the land has been registered.
The District Council does have delegated powers to carry out certain repairs on 'private' streets, but the legislation says that the owners of property fronting a private street should be responsible for the cost of repairs.
Alternatively you can contact the Utility Company which has carried out the works.
We have logged your enquiry to advise the Highways Team of your concerns.
We hope you find this information useful. If you require information regarding services provided by Lancashire County Council in the future please email us at highways@lancashire.gov.uk or visit www.lancashire.gov.uk.
Join Cycling UK to help us change lives and communities through cycling
Membership gives you peace of mind insurance, discounts in cycle shops, rides & routes – for just £3.75 a month!