Why use FillThatHole?

Why might you want to use FillThatHole rather than a highway authority’s own individual pothole reporting service?

There isn’t a simple rule, but roughly speaking:

Use FillThatHole if:

  • You would like the report to be public, so others can see that the pothole has been reported.
  • You don’t know who the highway authority is (perhaps when touring).
  • You want to report the hazard anonymously.
  • You would like to mark the location on a public map accurately, and perhaps upload photographs for everyone to see.
  • You would like to contribute to the only national, if incomplete, database of potholes.
  • You wish to record any injury or damage sustained, and possibly get help or advice about a compensation claim from the Cycling UK’s solicitors.

Use the highway authority’s site if:

  • You want the hole fixed particularly quickly. FillThatHole may introduce a slight delay before the report gets into the highway authority’s system.
  • You know who the highway authority is.
  • You don’t mind giving your name and email to the council.
  • You aren’t bothered that the report will be a private affair between you and the council only.
  • You don’t want to be able to add photos or comments to the report for others to see.
Join Cycling UK to help us change lives and communities through cycling
Membership gives you peace of mind insurance, discounts in cycle shops, rides & routes – for just £4.00 a month!